Starting this weekend and carrying over into next early week, tons of people are going to be firing up the grill and heading to parties to celebrate the 4th of July. Social gatherings can be a place for easy calorie overload. Here is a healthy recipe that won’t undo all the hard work you’ve put in to your body and health this year. This dish will please not only your palate but also your friends and family!
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 ½ cups sliced fresh peaches (about 2 medium)
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. broccoli slaw
- 3 (6-oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1-in. strips
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Combine 4 tablespoons oil, vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add peaches and slaw to vinegar mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes or until done. Place chicken in a large bowl. Add barbecue sauce to bowl; toss.
- Divide slaw mixture evenly among 4 plates; top evenly with chicken strips. Sprinkle with chives, feta, and bacon.