A few years ago New York Magazine said, “pumpkin is the new bacon” because pumpkin has been breaking out of it’s formerly very limited holiday role. Pumpkin has been popping up in cocktails, bagels, appetizers, ice cream, and, of course, lattes. The problem with most of these pumpkin items is that are mostly just pumpkin pie spice, flour and/or sugar, and that might not even contain any pumpkin at all.
Pumpkin flesh (the stuff you get in a can), and pumpkin seeds are actually very good for you. The pumpkin flesh is very low in sugar and carbohydrates, and packed with fiber and vitamins. Researchers are even finding compounds in pumpkin that seem to help diabetics control their blood sugar with less medication. The seeds are a great source of healthy fat, fiber, minerals and vitamins.
So instead of buying a knock off pumpkin flavored item, make your own and get in some healthy protein (because is there really protein in your protein?)!
Protein Pie Shake!!
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 1-2 scoops vanilla protein powder (look at the serving size)
- ½ to 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (this will vary depending on what kind of texture you like)
- 3 to 6 ice cubes (this will vary with the amount of coconut milk you use)
- 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice (you can add a pinch of salt if you find this too bitter)
- Top with Pumpkin seeds (optional)
Liquefy in a blender and enjoy!