Here is a light and refreshing meal that can be made with your staple pantry and freezer items! It’s a nice alternative to hot dogs and hamburgers this week. Happy 4th of July!
The sauce is super flavorful and would mix great with some rice pasta to soak it up.
Servings: 4 Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped shallots (about 3 shallots)
- 4garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 (28-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/2 pounds extra-large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 6ounces feta cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 400°F; set one oven rack in the middle position and another about 5 inches underneath the broiler.
- Heat the olive oil in a wide oven-proof skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and garlic then cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, salt, pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, and honey. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Off the heat, arrange the shrimp over the tomato sauce in an even layer. Crumble the feta over the shrimp, and then sprinkle with the oregano. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the shrimp are pink and just cooked (the cooking time will depend on the size of the shrimp). Turn on the broiler. Using an oven mitt, carefully transfer the pan to the higher oven rack and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the feta is golden brown in spots. Using an oven mitt, remove the pan from the oven (and immediately place the oven mitt or a dishtowel over the handle of the pan because it’s very easy to forget that it is burning hot). Let the shrimp rest for 5 minutes, then sprinkle with mint and serve.
Per Serving: (4 servings) 431 Calories; 25g fat (9g saturated fat); 21g carbohydrates; 14g sugar; 5g fiber; 32g protein; 1379mg sodium; 252mg cholesterol
Check out this week’s recipe here: https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/greek-shrimp-tomatoes-feta.html